Sunday, February 8, 2009

Drinking Tea Can Help Increase Interferons


I was reading Ladies Home Journal Magazine this week and they had a 3 page article on drinking Tea. They spoke of all the health benefits including increasing your bodies Interferon's. A Harvard study suggested that drinking 5 cups of black tea a day for two to three weeks increased production of a key immune protein, interferon. They said the reason was that L-theanine, an amino acid found in tea (and hardly anywhere else) can build up the bodies immune system and defenses against viruses and bacteria.

They also credited tea with sharpening your brain, boosting your powers of concentration, as well as relaxation. Drinking a cup of hot tea is relaxing. I will not quote the entire article, however, I do recommend giving it a read. I was intrigued, researched and found that Harvard did conclude the benefits in a 1998 study regarding Interferon's and L-theanine. It seems that all Teas may offer some benefit, however, only black tea was tested. You can also drink Green Tea, White Tea and Oolong Tea. The herbal teas, such as, Chamomile, Cinnamon, Ginger, Peppermint etc have their own health benefits as well, but were not included in the study.

This is a quote from the Harvard Study:
"Then, two weeks into the study, the researchers tested the blood of coffee and tea drinkers by exposing it to bacteria in the lab and comparing samples taken before the study to those taken two weeks later. "We found they [tea drinkers] made five times more interferon after they started drinking tea compared to before drinking tea," Bukowski says. The coffee drinkers showed no enhanced production of interferon."

So, I am going to start drinking 5 cups of decaf black tea five times a day and try to add it as part of my lifestyle. So maybe I can increase the Interferon's in my body without being on any Interferon shots. Hopefully, it will work or at least help. Can't hurt to test this theory. I'm tempted to see if my doctor has a way to measure my current interferon level and then again after a few weeks or a month. I'll have to investigate that.

Here are some links to check out if you are interested:

Tea Contains A Key Infection Fighter

Ladies Home Journal: The Healing Power of Tea

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi!


Hmmm Do we want to boost our immune system ?
I drink 6-8 cups per day of black tea.

Diane said...

Taxingwoman: Do you think it matters if the teas is iced or hot?